I first had this beet salad as a starter at my mum’s house and it was sooo delicious I immediately knew I wanted to share it. So I went home to recreate and adapt it . . . and this is the result. For me, this is the best beet salad recipe ever because it’s soooo tasty and ever so quick & easy to make.
All you’ll need is some fresh beetroot, cooked and chopped into little cubes. If you don’t have fresh, use the precooked ones – but fresh beets always taste so much sweeter so it’s worth the extra hassle of cooking them.
Put the cubed beetroot into a bowl and chop up a couple of spring onions if you have them. Cut up some cherry tomatoes and add to the bowl along with some lambs leaves.
Take some nuts of your choice and add them too. Depending on which type of nut you use, you might add it raw, roasted or gently tossed in the frying pan. For this salad I tossed some halved Macadamia nuts in a frying pan with a little olive oil until they were lightly browned and then added them to the salad. Other nuts that go well are roasted or fried almonds, fried cashews or raw walnut. The crunch of the nut gives the salad an important part of its character.
Another part of the magic of this salad lies in the dressing. Sprinkle the salad with salt, pour over loads of ground flax (linseed), some sesame seeds and balsamic vinegar. Next add extra virgin olive oil and a grinding of pepper.
Stir to mix the whole lot and taste to check the seasoning and adjust as necessary. Serve in little bowls as a starter or in a large bowl as part of a salad buffet. Sprinkle on some extra sesame seeds just before serving.
This makes a great starter for your dinner parties and has an unusual twist in flavour from the flax and sesame.
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- Cooked beetroot chopped into small cubes, preferably fresh
- 2 spring onions finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tub cherry tomatoes, halved
- Lambs leaves to choice
- 1 handful of roasted, fried or raw nuts - macadamia, almonds, cashews or walnuts.
- Salt & pepper
- Coarsely ground flax seed
- Sesame seeds
- Balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pre cook the beetroot and gently fry or roast the nuts.
- Put the chopped beets, cherry tomatoes, spring onions and nuts into a bowl and mix well.
- Pour over plenty of flax seed and stir.
- Add some balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper; mix and taste to check the seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Leave to stand for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve as a main salad or as individual little starters.
- Sprinkle on extra sesame seeds just before serving.
I’d love to know what you think of this salad when you’ve tried it!