Today I made this absolutely delicious soup. Thick, creamy and of course easy to make.
The basic recipe’s simple and you can tweak it to fit your ingredients or preferences. First, fry the chopped onion and garlic in a little salt and other spices or herbs of your choice. I used a small teaspoon of ground coriander and a generous sprinkling of parsley.
When the onions are semi cooked, add the chopped red pepper to the pan and after a few minutes or when softened, add the sliced carrots.
Cover with a lid and leave to steam-fry until soft. Check the salt levels and add a sprinkle of salt as necessary.
Finally, add the water and chopped sweet potato. Also, other veggies you have can be added to the pan – and then removed before blending – as they’ll add flavour to the soup.
I used a cauliflower stalk (which I blended into the soup) and a stick of celery (which I removed and ate!). You can remove any of the ‘extra’ veggies, especially if you add green things like broccoli stem which would alter the colour of the soup.
It’s best to leave the soup to cook longer than the minimum time necessary because the flavour will deepen. And then leave it to stand a while before blending.
When you’re ready to blend the soup, remove any unwanted vegetables from the pan. Next, remove and set aside a bowl of the chopped sweet potato and carrots from the pan before blending.
Re-introduce the carrot slices and sweet potato chunks to the soup and stir. This will give you a delicious creamy soup with a few chunks in it.
Quick, easy to make, delicious vegan soup
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 large red pepper or 1 small
- 5 large carrots
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- salt & pepper
- pinch of ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- olive oil
- Chop the onion and garlic and fry in a little olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add a sprinkle of salt, coriander and dried parsley.
- While the onions are cooking, chop the red pepper and add to the pan.
- Peel and slice the carrots and add to the pan.
- Sprinkle on more salt and fry for a few moments.
- Cover and leave to cook on a med-low heat until the vegetables are soft.
- Pour on enough water to fill a medium sized pan.
- Peel, chop and add the sweet potato to the pan.
- Add 1 large celery stick, stem of cauliflower or any other veggies which will add depth to the soup flavour.
- Leave to cook for 30 minutes or longer if you can because the flavour gets better with time.
- Remove the celery sticks and any other veggies you added which you don't want in the final soup.
- Next, remove some of the chopped sweet potato and sliced carrots and set aside.
- Blend the soup into a yummy creamy soup and return the reserved chopped carrots and sweet potatoes to the pan and serve.
And that’s it! If you have any suggestions or questions to share, leave them in the comments below and I’ll get back to you asap.