If you’ve never tried chilled vegan cucumber soup then I strongly suggest that it’s time you did! In summer this makes a lovely refreshing soup, great as a thirst quenching drink or a starter or even as a light lunch.
And yes, you’ve guessed it, like all my recipes, it’s simple! In fact this cucumber soup only has 4 main ingredients: cucumber, onion, potato & garlic.
Peel and chop 3 large cucumbers, 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic & 1 or 2 potatoes depending on size.
Fry the garlic and onion in olive oil and a little salt. When the onion’s cooked, add the chopped cucumber and some more salt. Leave to fry in the oil and own juice for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Next add the chopped potatoes to the pan and stir. Cook for another 5 minutes and cover with a lid until the cucumber’s soft throughout.
You can make this soup with plain water or you can use a homemade stock, which will give it much more flavour. If you don’t know how to make a vegan gluten free vegetable stock we will be publishing a post on how to make your own vegetable stock next week, so keep tuned.
While the cucumbers are cooking, make a lightly salted vegetable stock and when the cucumbers are all soggy, add the stock to the cucumber-onion-potato mix and leave to cook for another 20 minutes.
Blend with a hand blender and add a non-dairy milk of choice. I used unsweetened soya milk and it worked really well to give it a creamy consistency.
Transfer the soup to the fridge and if you’re short of time, add a few ice cubes to help bring the temperature down.
Serve very chilled with a sprinkling of black pepper and plenty of slithers of cucumber on top and on the side.
Watch the Video for Resume of the Recipe
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 3 cucumbers and 1 for serving
- 1 medium potato
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- olive oil for cooking
- water or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- Peel and chop 3 of the cucumbers, the onion and the garlic
- Fry the onion and garlic in a little olive oil and salt
- When the onion is transparent add the chopped cucumbers
- After 5 minutes add the chopped potato
- Cover with a lid and cook until the cucumber is soft through
- Add salted water or vegetable stock and cook for another 20 minutes on a medium heat with the lid on
- Chill in the fridge for several hours or overnight, until really cold
- Serve super cold (or add ice cubes) and decorate with slithers of cucumber on top and a grinding of black pepper
Such a delicious chilled soup. If you haven't tried it yet, give it a go! It's soooo easy.
If you love making chilled soups in summer time, check out this delicious easy gazpacho soup.
There it is! Let me know if you have any questions or comments and I’ll be happy to answer them!