So, do you want to make a risotto but don’t fancy taking hours over the cooking and the endless stirring? Try this quick version for an easy-to-make creamy vegan risotto that tastes just yummmmmm.
Traditional Italian risotto takes ages to make and LOTS of stirring but I wanted to make an easier, quick version, so I made a few adaptations and then I ran it by an Italian friend, and the result of our conversation created this recipe.
Nutritional yeast is a naturally healthy product that adds a delicious flavour to the risotto and gives it an extra depth of body. It’s moorish, it’s tasty and it’s essential for the flavour of this quick version vegan risotto. If you don’t already have some, buy yours here.
You can make risotto with dry white wine or with red wine. I’ve made it with both and I have to say that I absolutely love the red wine version (shown in the picture above). The white wine keeps the colour better though.
Follow these 5 steps to make a delicious vegan risotto, easily.
5 Steps to a Delicious Creamy Vegan Risotto
#1 Fry the garlic and vegetables in a little olive oil in a saucepan with enough seasoning to bring out the flavours. Add the vegetables in order of hardness first and softest last.
#2 When the vegetables are half cooked, add the rice and turn up the heat. Stir fry the rice for several moments
# 3 Add enough wine to cover the rice and cook to reduce. Actually, you can use just half a glass of wine, but I prefer to add more!
#4 Add warm, homemade vegan stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring the risotto each time you add. When the rice gets closer to being cooked, turn up the heat and stir while you boil off any excess juice until you’re just left with the yummy, creamy risotto.
#5 Stir in the nutritional yeast and add it on top of the risotto too.
How to Make the Vegan Stock
Half fill a pan with cold water and add 2 whole garlic cloves, 2 celery sticks, 1/2 green pepper, the stems from the broccoli and kale, the tops from the leek, and any other vegetables you want to add.
Season with a teaspoon of salt and add a good teaspoon full of Marmite to the water. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer. Use the stock to add gradually to the risotto mix, until the rice is just cooked to perfection!
Below is the actual recipe I used for the red wine risotto but you can use whatever vegetables you like. Why not make an artichoke risotto, mushroom risotto, or courgette risotto? Whatever takes your fancy, it’ll be delicious.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please tell us about it in the comments!
Creamy vegan risotto dish, full of flavour and easy to make.
40 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 leek
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1/2 a green pepper
- 3 large mushrooms
- 2 cupfuls of finely chopped kale
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/4 bottle red wine or dry white wine
- vegetable stock as needed (make a small pan full or 1/2 litre)
- Heat a little olive oil in a large saucepan and add the chopped garlic and sliced leeks.
- Next the sliced broccoli and green pepper followed by the sliced mushrooms.
- Fry in the saucepan and add some salt.
- Pour in the rice and turn up the heat to high and stir to fry the rice without letting it stick.
- Cover with red or dry white wine and cook to reduce.
- Add ladles of vegetable stock and stir the risotto mixture as much as you like. You can stand over it stirring, or cheat and stir, leave, stir leave until the rice is cooked al dente.
- Taste to check the flavour.
- Add nutritional yeast flakes and stir in.
- Delicious creamy Vegan Risotto!
Make this vegan risotto dish with any vegetables of your choice, add nutritional yeast to give it a cheesy-tasting kick, and white wine for a clean colour but red wine tastes just wonderful.