This delicious recipe for cooking artichokes is my all-time favourite artichoke recipe. I first learned how to cook artichokes this way when I lived in Italy many years ago.
Edit: since writing this post we’ve moved to a new site and written another Italian recipe for cooking artichokes which you can see by clicking here.
This recipe uses the smaller, elongated Mediterranean artichokes. Make sure you choose young, bright green ones.
Remove the stem and all the tough outer leaves, chop off the tops of the artichokes and cut in half. Scoop out the inner, fluffy-choke and place the ready-to-cook artichokes in a pan of water with the juice of one lemon to stop them from browning. Click through for more information about types of artichokes and how to prepare your artichokes.
Once the artichokes have been prepared, chop an onion and 4 cloves of garlic. Fry onion, garlic and artichokes halves, face down, in enough olive oil to cover the base of the pan. Sprinkle on salt. Fry for about 5 minutes and then add the potato slices if using. Cover with a lid and turn down the heat to medium heat.
Leave to cook for another 5-6 minutes and then add water to the top of the artichokes. Cover again and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to keep them on a low simmer and leave to cook.
When the artichokes are soft to the knife, add 1 glass of dry white or red wine. Cook for a moment before turning up the heat and cooking fast to reduce the liquid until you are left with a bit of a sauce.
Squeeze lemon juice over the finished artichokes and serve with an extra piece of lemon. Yum.
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 medium potatoes, halved and sliced (optional)
- 1 glass white wine
- salt, pepper and olive oil
- Prepare the artichokes making sure to take out all the tough bits even if it feels like wastage!
- Slice one large red onion into half and then into half-rings, but lengthwise, the opposite way to normal onion rings.
- Peel and chop 4 garlic cloves.
- Put a generous amount of olive oil into the pan to cover the bottom. Add the onion and garlic. After a moment add the halved artichokes with insides removed. Stir to coat in oil and then turn the artichokes face down and leave to cook/fry for about 10 minutes. After 5 minutes add the sliced potato and leave to fry for the remaining 5-6 minutes.
- Pour water onto the artichokes until they're covered and leave to cook with the lid on until soft but not over-cooked.
- When soft, add 1 glass of white wine.
- Take off the lid and turn up the heat to high so that the water reduces.
- Allow to reduce until there's just a bit of sauce left ont the artichokes. Serve with quinoa for a delicious meal.
Use dry wine as semi-sweet or sweet wine doesn't do the job. Red wine is fine but different!