These easy vegan snacks offer something completely different and unusual to snack on and are completely gluten free. They taste savoury but sweet, plain but spicy, filling yet moorish. Easy to pick up and eat, no mess from the beets, and something totally unique.
To start with, cook the whole beetroot in water until soft through. Test by pushing a skewer into the middle. Turn off the heat and leave in the water until you’re ready to cook the patties.
Thinly slice the beetroots and place the slices on a plate. I’ve cut them a bit too fat in these photos for most people’s taste (because I love beetroot so much!).
Next, pour some chickpea flour, also known as gram flour into a bowl and add the flavourings you want in your batter mix. Definitely add some salt, chilli and turmeric powder and optionally you can add some garam masala or a curry mix of your choice.
Add water to the chickpea flour & spice mix and stir well until there are no lumps and the consistency is slightly runnier than a thick paste.
Put your beetroot slices into the bowl of flour with spices, so that the pieces of beetroot sink. Carefully take them out, one at a time and place into the hot pan with a tiny amount of coconut oil heated in the bottom.
Leave to cook for about 10 minutes and then turn over and finish by cooking the other side.
Serve alone as a delicious snack! They’re really surprisingly yummy!
An unusual snack you'll love!
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 1 large beetroot or 2 medium
- 2 cups gram flour
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Chilli powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon curry mix - optional
- Put the gram flour into a bowl and add the spices and salt. Slowly pour in water and stir until you get a thick consistency but still so you can pour it. Leave to stand for about 10 minutes. Stir again, and if it's got too thick, add a little more water and stir in well.
- Slice the beetroot into about 4 mm slices and place into the batter bowl. Cover with batter.
- Heat the frying pan and put in a little bit of coconut oil, just to give some moisture.
- Carefully transfer the beetroot in batter slices to the hot frying pan and cook for 5 minutes. Turn over and cook the other side for another 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place on a plate and serve.
You can add or change the spices you use in the batter for any spices of your choice. The total cooking time quoted is for if you're using ready cooked beetroot.