I absolutely love homemade falafel but I don’t particularly choose to eat fried foods and I really don’t like standing over a frying pan, frying things piece-by-piece, in turns. I find that just bah and boring.
And so I decided t experiment with making baked falafels instead – and that’s how this homemade baked falafel recipe was born! And it’s delicious.
I like to make everything as easy as possible with cooking, so I prefer to pre-bake these in advance and take them out of the oven just before they go golden brown (like in the picture below).
That way, when you’re ready to eat, they just need finishing off. Put a tiny amount of olive oil in a frying pan, add the falafels and cover with a lid. Leave for 5-6 minutes, then turn the falafels and cook for another 5 minutes or until golden brown.
Alternatively you can just leave them in the oven until golden brown and serve immediately.
how to make your falafel – step by step
#1 Finely chop an onion, 3 cloves of garlic and a bunch of coriander or fresh parsley. Mix together in a bowl.
#2 Fry the onion mix in a pan in a tiny amount of olive oil, cumin powder or your chosen spices and a pinch of salt.
#3 Next add the chickpeas to the pan and cook some more.
# 4 Line a baking dish with some oven proof paper. Pour some chickpea flour onto a plate and take a pinch of the mix and roll it into a ball between the palms of your hands. Roll the falafel in chickpea flour and place in the baking tray.
#5 Use a kitchen brush to paint a touch of olive oil onto the falafels.
Place into the oven for about 30 minutes, turning half way through.
How to Eat Falafel
You can eat falafel on its own as a snack but it is quite dry so I prefer to combine it with shredded lettuce and tomato, accompanied by a good dollop of tahini on the side.
In a WRAP
Heat the falafel and the gluten free wrap separately. Spread the wrap with tahini and squash a couple of falafels into the middle. Top with shredded lettuce, tomato and any other salad toppings you like, and pour a bit of tahini sauce over the top. Roll the wrap up and eat. Enjoy!
There’s nothing nicer than a homemade falafel!!
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 1 jar of chickpeas
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- Bunch of cilantro or fresh parsley
- Cumin powder
- Chilli powder
- Salt & pepper
- Gram flour
- 1/4 teaspoon curry mix of your choice
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Chia seeds
- Finely chop the onion, either by hand or in the vegetable chopper (my preferred method). Next finely chop the cilantro and garlic and the chickpeas.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan and fry the cumin powder, onion, cilantro & garlic. Add the chickpeas and stir. Season with salt and pepper and chilli powder.
- Cover a dish with gram flour. Roll the chickpea mix into balls and toss in the gram flour.
- Lay the balls on a lined baking tray and brush over with olive oil.
- Place in the oven at 200ªc for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Turn once, half way through the cooking time.
Like this recipe? Share the love and leave a comment!