The best ones to use are the thick, fat bell peppers which are always sweet and delicious. The sweetest are the red ones, but even the yellow and green become sweet when they’ve been roasted.
What You’ll Need
How to Roast Sweet Peppers
- Wash the peppers and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Remove the heart of the pepper.
- Lay the half peppers face down in a baking tray that’s been lined with baking paper.
- Heat the oven to 190ºC and leave the peppers to roast.
- After about 40 minutes they should be cooked and browning, but if they look cooked with no browning to the skin, turn up the oven heat to 200 ºc for the last 5 minutes.
- You’ll see a singeing to the skins of the peppers and then you know they’re ready to take out of the heat.
- Cover with silver foil and allow them to sweat in their own steam. This adds to their flavour and makes them easier to peel.
- Remember not to throw the juice away but use it in the recipe.
When they’ve cooled down enough to handle, remove the silver foil and peel the peppers. Set them aside and pour the juice over them.
they’re delicious just like that, or use them in your favourite recipe!
Use the roasted peppers in roasted pepper soup, roasted pepper salad, and hummus with roasted red peppers. I hope you enjoyed this article on how to roast sweet peppers, and if you have any questions please leave them below and I’ll be happy to get back to you.