Sweet sweet sweet. This recipe for mashed sweet potatoes and carrots makes a hearty mash that can be left plain and simple as a sweet-mash-on-the-side, or spiced up as in recipe #2 using red beans and chilli, to serve as a delicious light lunch or snack.
Why not try it as a tasty dip to go with gluten free nachos, or stuff your favourite gluten free tacos with this mix, topping off with shredded lettuce and jalapeño chilli peppers.
You’ll need two sweet potatoes, 4-5 carrots and an onion. To keep the colour its brightest, use a white onion. I used a purple one here (I love purple onions!) but that does dampen down the brightness of the orange.
First you need to chop the onion, carrots and sweet potato.
The basis for the two recipes is the same. Fry the chopped onion in 2 tsp cumin and a pinch of turmeric. Add the carrots and carry on cooking for a few minutes before you add the sweet potato and stir again.
Sprinkle on salt and a grind of black pepper and let the vegetables cook for a few minutes.
Pour on 1-2 cups of water and cover with a lid. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer until all the veg are really soft. Check the salt level during cooking.
Mash with a potato masher and grind some more black pepper on top. If you’re making the simple sweet potatoes and carrots mash, that’s it!
Serve as a side dish in place of mashed potato or mashed carrots but be warned, the dish – served like this – is very sweet!
Recipe Part #2: Mexican Mash
to make a main course, nacho dip or taco filling
This is how I prefer to eat it, rather than the straight mash.
First make the mash, then sprinkle in enough chilli powder to give it a kick and add 1 tin of Mexican frijoles beans – or a cup of home-cooked black/red beans of your choice. Mix well and taste to check the seasoning.
Serve as a main dish, as a filler for tacos, topped with jalapeños and shredded lettuce, or as a dip with gluten free maize crisps . . . or even with popadoms.
To buy your black/red beans on Amazon click here.
Versatile snack, main course or accompaniment that's tasty, quick and easy to prepare.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 1 onion
- red or black beans
- chilli powder
- pinch of turmeric
- olive oil
- Heat a little olive oil in a saucepan.
- Fry the finely chopped onion and 1-2 tsp cumin powder & pinch of turmeric.
- Add the sliced carrots and fry gently for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chopped sweet potato, stir fry for a moment.
- Pour on 2 cupfuls of water, stir, and cover the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to simmer until the veg are soft and tender.
- Mash with a potato masher and add some home-cooked red beans or a tin of Frigoles beans to the mix.
- Add chilli powder and mix together well.
- Serve as a lunch dish, nachos dip or taco filling, or keep as a snack to pick at when you get hungry during the day.
What’s your favourite sweet potato recipe?