Try this Orange and Avocado Salad recipe and I promise you’ll be converted forever! Oranges are king here in winter when they’re in season, so not surprisingly this is a spin-off from a Malaga winter salad.
Malageño Salad traditionally has potatoes instead of avocado (and also fish) but our local bar/restaurant made this treat for me and I immediately fell in love!
Make sure you choose the tastiest oranges. I bought and tasted three different types before choosing which ones to use for the salad. We’re lucky here in Spain, being the land of orange groves – so there’s loads of choice.
The only essentials you absolutely need for this salad are the tasty oranges and ripe avocado. Why? Because you can substitute the spring onions for normal white onion and you can use any other veg as a garnish instead of the beetroot.
If you like the idea of adding potatoes, choose small, new potatoes. Cook them in their skins and cut in half lengthwise before adding to the salad.
- 3 large tasty oranges
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 large or 4 small spring onions
- raw or cooked beetroot
- olive oil
- Chop off the top and bottom orange peel from two oranges. Slice into the skin without cutting the orange and then peel each strip of orange peel off. Use a sharp knife to scrape off any white pith on the orange. Hold the orange in one hand and with a sharp knife, slice chunks off the orange onto a plate.
- Slice the avocado into strips and lay evenly over the orange pieces.
- Next take a beetroot. I used raw beetroot from the garden but if you don't have that you can use cooked beetroot. Make tiny little strips of the beetroot and sprinkle over the orange.
- Finally chop the spring onions and place over the top of the salad. Save some longer pieces for garnish.
- Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Cut the third orange in half and squeeze the juice over the salad. Half an orange is usually enough for the juice.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the whole salad.
Orange and avocado salad is so refreshingly different. Serve as a starter and impress your friends and family with this taste of Andalusia.