So easy and so yummy! This dish is similar to my favourite ‘yellow potatoes’ dish, but it has the added ingredients of peas and spinach.
And of course, it’s simple to make!
First, chop the potatoes and onions.
Heat a little olive oil in a pan that has a tight fitting lid and once the oil is hot, add some black mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add the crushed garlic and stir for a moment, then add the potatoes and onions to the oil.
Fry on a medium heat until you start to see parts of the potatoes & onions going a bit brown.
If using cauliflower or any other hard vegetable, add it now and stir to coat in the mustard seeds. Add turmeric, cumin powder and a tiny pinch of asafoetida.
Be aware that spices can be contaminated with gluten, so buy gluten free spices to be safe. Leave the lid off while you cook the spices for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cover with a lid and turn the heat down to medium-low. Leave alone for about 5 minutes and then remove the lid, stir carefully with a spatula and replace the lid. If the vegetable begin to stick the heat could be too high.
If the heat isn’t too high and the vegetables are sticking, you can add a drop more olive oil or a drop of water to the pan.
Sprinkle with a little salt and leave to cook for about 30 minutes, stirring every 5-7 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and cooked through.
When the potatoes are partially cooked but still a bit hard in the middle, add the frozen peas and spinach. If you like spicy, you can also add some chilli powder at this point.
Serve with gluten free roti breads or gluten free flour tortillas and enjoy!
Yellow potatoes with vegetables...yummy.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 5 potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bag spinach
- Frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Tiny pinch of asafoetida
- Chilli powder to taste or fresh chilli
- Olive oil
- Chop the potatoes and put into chilled water.
- Slice the onion into strips lengthwise.
- Heat a little olive oil in a heavy based pan (which has a lid) and wait for the oil to be hot.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait for them to pop. If your oil isn't hot enough they won't pop but the recipe will still work.
- Squeeze the garlic into the pan and stir fry. If using fresh chilli, add it now.
- Add the potatoes and onions and stir to coat in the mustard seeds and fry a little.
- Next, add 2 tsp turmeric powder and a tiny pinch of asafoetida and stir fry the spices.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Cover with a lid and leave on a medium low heat, checking every 5 minutes or so.
- When the potatoes are almost done but still a touch hard in the middle, add the peas and the spinach. Sprinkle with chilli to taste.
- Cover again and leave to finish cooking.
Instead of peas and spinach you can make this with aubergine or cauliflower or almost any vegetable you like.
Let me know what you think of this recipe in the comments below.