This vegan artichoke recipe is the definition of a simple but delicious snack, ideal for serving as tapas when you have visitors or just enjoy as a special treat when you fancy something different.
Prepare the Artichokes
Discard all the tough outer leaves of the artichoke and chop off the tops. Cut off the stems and trim the outer layer of the skin.
Wash the artichokes and slice into about 5-6 thin slices per artichoke. Or, if you aren’t familiar with how to prepare artichokes you can read about it in more detail in this post.
HOW TO Cook the Artichokes
Pour a little oil olive oil into a frying pan and turn heat up to medium. Add the artichoke slices and two whole garlic cloves. Sprinkle with salt and sporadically flip each piece of artichoke over.
You’ll need to stay with the artichoke slices for about 5-10 minutes, frying and then flipping them over until they go brown and crunchy on the edges, without burning. When they look more or less browned, cover the pan and turn the heat right down.
Leave the artichokes to cook in their own steam and keep checking them for their tenderness.
If you want to pre-prepare them, at this point you can turn the heat off and leave them with the lid on until whenever you’re ready to eat. Then, turn up the heat for a final blast to re-heat the artichokes, just before serving.
Squeeze on lemon juice and serve.
Ready in 15-20 minutes
Fast & easy tapas, using fresh artichokes, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil.
20 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- Fresh artichokes
- 2 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- 1 lemon
- salt & pepper
- Gluten free bread to serve
- Prepare the artichokes and slice into 5 slices.
- Heat a little olive oil in the pan and add the artichokes and garlic and a sprinkle of salt.
- Peel the artichoke stems and add to the pan, whole.
- Use a flat kitchen tool to turn the artichokes over so that they brown evenly.
- After 5-10 minutes turn the heat down and cover with a lid to steam for about 10 minutes or alternatively turn them off and leave the lid on. Come back later when you're ready to eat and re-fry them for a few moments.
- Remove the lid and turn up the heat for a final blast before serving.
- Squeeze on lemon juice.
Enjoy this tasty tapas on its own or serve with homemade gluten free bread and vegan mayonnaise.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may be interested in reading about this delicious recipe for cooking artichokes
If you like this site, please leave a message!