This vegan beet hummus is delicious, versatile and healthy. And it has to be my favourite of all time yummy hummus recipes.
I love to have a bowl of hummus on hand in the fridge. It’s great for breakfast, lunch or supper; with salads, as a dip with crudités or on its own.
This beet hummus is colourful and tasty and makes a change from plain hummus. You can make it with chick peas, beetroot, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper, and even better if you have some tahini to hand.
Colourful, tasty and easy to make vegan beet hummus, the best dip on your knife!
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1 jar or tin of chickpeas, or freshly cooked chickpeas (but make sure they're soft).
- 1 large cooked beetroot
- 1-2 garlic cloves, squeezed
- 1-2 tbs tahini
- sprinkle of salt
- pinch of cumin
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Put the chickpeas, chopped beetroot, tahini, crushed garlic, pinch of cumin, salt & pepper and the juice from half the lemon into a blender or a container for hand blending.
- Blend thoroughly and add a good slosh of olive oil while blending.
- Taste the mix and add the rest of the lemon juice to taste. Normally 1 lemon is about the right amount but I prefer to add half first and then the other half to taste.
- Blend again and do the final taste check. At this stage you may want to add more salt or pepper if necessary.
- Make sure you're happy with the taste and then transfer the mixture into a bowl and pour a little olive oil on top.
- Serve with gluten free bread, crudités, or as a side dish. Yummy!
This vegan beet hummus recipe can be made with the bare minimum ingredients - beetroot, chickpeas, garlic, lemon and olive oil. The rest is optional. The trick to good hummus lies in the tasting just after blending and then adding more lemon juice, olive oil, salt or pepper just before the final blend.