The basis of this recipe is easy. Chop an onion, 2 cloves of garlic and however much chilli you like to make your food right for your spice level and fry in a little olive oil and a pinch of salt.
When the onions are translucent add 1 heaped tablespoon of cumin and stir.
Next, chop up other veggies of your choice into small pieces. Typical veggies would be courgette/zucchini, broccoli, carrots, peppers & mushrooms but you can add anything you like really.
Add the veggies in order of hardness with the mushrooms going in last, when the other vegetables have been semi fried. Add oregano to taste.
Lastly, add 1 or 2 jars of red beans and stir. Allow the beans to fry for a few minutes. Take a potato masher and squash some of the beans so that a few are left whole and the others are mashed.
Keep frying for another 5-10 minutes before adding 1 tin of chopped tomatoes & 1 small tin of non GMO sweetcorn.
And that’s it! Tasty Mexican beans that are ready to be used in vegan burritos, on tasty nachos or in any way you fancy.
Moorish & delicious, try this out and fall in love!
Easy and versatile chilli beans
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 fresh chilli
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs oregano
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1 carrot
- some broccoli
- 4 mushrooms
- 1 tin sweetcorn
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- Finely chop 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves & 1 chilli
- Fry in a little olive oil with a pinch of salt.
- When the onions are translucent add 1 heaped tablespoon of cumin and stir.
- Chop the rest of the vegetables into small pieces.
- Add the veggies in order of hardness with the mushrooms going in last.
- Add oregano to taste.
- Finally add 1 or 2 jars of red beans and stir.
- Allow the beans to fry for a few minutes.
- Mash some of the beans and leave to cook for another 5-10 mins.
- Add 1 tin chopped tomatoes & 1 small tin of non GMO sweetcorn.
- Cook until hot and serve with wraps, burritos, nachos, quinoa or rice.
Vary this recipe however you like and it will still be a tasty success.
Did you like this vegan chilli bean recipe? Please leave a comment below!