This vegan gluten free gravy is tasty! You can make it in any of a hundred different ways and it will still taste yummy. All you have to do is use the basic method and the rest will take care of itself.
The basic essentials are to heat some olive oil and add finely chopped garlic. After a moment add a finely chopped onion. Stir and leave to cook until the onion is translucent.
At this point you’re going to add a choice of finely chopped vegetables – red pepper, leek or carrot or whatever you have handy. A few moments later, add a couple of finely chopped mushrooms and the dried blueberries or cranberries.
If you don’t have any dried fruit, the gravy will still work but the fruit gives a nice sweet tang to the gravy. Otherwise, you can add a spoonful of jam to caramelise the onion vegetable mix.
When the onion mixture is well cooked and preferably the onions turning a bit brown, add some port or red wine and stir fry. (You can also omit this step if you don’t have any wine or port handy.)
Stir in 4 tablespoons of gram flour and keep stirring to absorb all the liquid and create a paste. Slowly pour on the homemade vegetable stock bit by bit, stirring it in each time until the thickening happens and you add a little more stock.
Next, add soy sauce to taste and if you aren’t gluten free, you can add some Marmite.
Check the seasoning and leave to cook. When it’s finished, you can sieve the sauce and remove all the bits, but I can never bring myself to throw away the bits so I just have gravy with veggies in it.
As you can see, it’s a pretty flexible way to make vegan gravy, you just need to have some gram flour, onions, mushrooms and vegetable stock. And for the sweet tang, some dried blueberries or cranberries or some blackcurrant jam, and if you like, some red wine or port wine.
And it’s really pretty moorish!
Easy gluten free vegan gravy recipe
- 4 tablespoons gluten free flour - I use gram flour (chick pea flour)
- 1 onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper or 1 carrot or other vegetable of choice
- 2 mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Vegan vegetable stock
- Gluten free soya sauce
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan.
- Add the chopped garlic and allow to cook for a moment.
- Add the finely sliced onion and stir.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Cook the onions until translucent and then add the chopped red pepper (or other veggie) and dried blueberries if using.
- Finally add the chopped mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with a herb of choice.
- When the mixture is well cooked, add a dash of red wine or port.
- Stir in 4 tablespoons of gluten free flour.
- Keep stirring as you pour in the vegan stock, slowly, allowing it to be absorbed before adding more.
- Add a teaspoon or more of Marmite to taste and a dash of gluten free soya sauce.
- Taste the gravy and adjust the salt as necessary.
Make this gravy in advance and it will get more flavoursome.
How do you make your vegan gravy? Let me know in the comments below.